Whether you are adopting domestically or internationally, now is the time to consider these issues:
- Are you eligible for 12 weeks of unpaid family leave under the FMLA?
- Are you eligible for paid or unpaid family leave under state law? How much and when can you take it?
- How many vacation, personal, or sick days have you accrued?
- Can you use those days however you want to?
- Are you required to use accrued vacation, personal, or sick days before any other kind of leave?
- Can you take vacation days that you haven’t accrued yet – i.e. days that you will be eligible for by the end of the year?
- Will you have to wait longer to be eligible for more annual vacation time if you take unpaid leave?
- How will you pay your health insurance premiums while you are on leave? Will the employer pay and then seek reimbursement or should I
send a check directly to the insurer?
- Will you still be covered by your group life insurance while you are on leave, and (if you pay a premium for extra coverage) how do you pay
- Are any other benefits affected by your leave?